SCIENTIFIC NAME :
MEDICINAL VALUE :
Treats obesity, stomach ailments, respiratory ailments, oral health, urinary infection, healthy hair. Being extremely low in calories, the ashgourd is used to treat obesity. It maintains the PH ratio in our system for the illeffects of excessive acidity created in our stomach.
NUTRIENT VALUE :
Good source of Calcium, Magnesium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Potassium and Zinc. Ash gourd is rich in moisture and contains small amounts of fat, protein, carbohydrates, fiber and some essential vitamins.
CULINERY AND OTHER VALUES :
In India, it is used in curries. In Vietnamese cuisine, it is called bí đao, which is usually used to make soup or stew. In Chinese cuisine the melons are used in stir fry or usually combined with pork.
- English : White Gourd / Ash Gourd
- Tamil : Pooshanikai / Kumbala
- Malayalam : Kumbalanga / Ilavan
- Telugu : Boodia Gummadi / Beerakaya
- Kannada : Boodi Kumbala/Buda Gumbala / Gumbala
- Hindi : Petha / Pethakaddu / Golkaddu
- Bengali : Chal Kumra / Kumra
- Gujarati : Petha / Kobola
- Konkani : Kuvvaley / Karathen / Kuvallo
- Marathi : Kohala
- Oriya : Panikakharu
- Punjabi : Petha
- Tulu : Karukembudae
- Kashmiri : Mashaa’Ly Al