SCIENTIFIC NAME :
MEDICINAL VALUE :
Drumstick and its leaves provides expectant mothers with necessary calcium, vitamins, zinc and iron. Calcium required for bone strengthening. Zinc plays vital role in hair-growth, spermatogenesis, and skin health. Iron alleviates anemia.
NUTRIENT VALUE :
Rich in B-complex vitamins like folates, vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), B2, B3, Vitamin A, and vitamin C. Most of these vitamins functions as co-enzymes in carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism. A good source of Calcium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, and magnesium.
CULINERY AND OTHER VALUES :
Prepared in various ways and often added in the sambar, a popular dish prepared in southern India. In Maharashtra, the drumstick pods are used in sweet & sour curries called Aamatee.
- English : Drumstick
- Tamil : Muringakkai
- Malayalam : Muringakkaya / Muringakka
- Telugu : Munnakaya / Munagakayalu / Mulaku Kada / Munaga
- Kannada : Nuggekai
- Hindi : Sajjan Ki Phalli / Saigan / Shinga / Segva / Sehijjan
- Bengali : Sajane Dauta / Sajna Danta
- Gujarati : Saragvani Shing / Saragavo / Suragavo
- Konkani : Masingasaang / Moska Saang
- Marathi : Shevaga / Sheng / Sheerenga
- Oriya : Sajana Chhuin
- Punjabi : Savonjna
- Tulu : Nurge
Recipes with drumstick: